Sunday, December 13, 2009

12-13-09:Ella...A horsey twist

hey ya'll!

I thought today I'd just share with you a short clip of my latest book Ella, so... here is the introduction, the clip and cover pic!

Introduction:
Ella Matthews has only dreams of ever attending college. But, her stable hand salary will never get her there.
Tyler Burk, a super star rider only wants a break from his over busy schedule. But… when he comes to Lakewood for Winter break, he just might find more than he’d even considered.
Ella, a “horsey” twist on the classic Cinderella tail


“Hey boy, ready for a ride?” Ella snuck into Hugo’s stall. The large, majestic grey Andalusian shook his head up and down. He obviously wasn’t as tired as she, it being almost midnight.
Ella tacked up Hugo and took him into the indoor arena. The barn was completely quiet and empty. Everyone had left more than two hours ago… but she’d only just got done with chores.
“Okay boy, trot.” Ella sent the horse into a smooth, controlled working trot.
The twosome were a perfect match. Every command Ella gave, Hugo instantly obeyed. And in return, Ella always snuck him extra sugar cubes and carrots through out the day.
Ella was one of the best riders there was. Skilled like a pro. But know one would, and ever could know. Her step sister made sure of that.
“Good boy, canter.” Hugo’s steady canter was perfect as always. As the two flew around the arena, a smile grew across Ella’s face. Her favorite time of night was riding time. One of the many things she loved about working at the stable was all the many horses. And it wasn’t until three years ago until she realized that when the barn was completely empty, it was a perfect time for a ride.
Finally, Ella cooled down the large horse and took him back to his stall. She gave him a good groom and then left him with a handful of carrots. Making sure his tack was clean and nothing looked used, she placed them back where they’d come from.
Hailey, Hugo’s owner was always traveling with her parents. Ella and her were sort of friends, but more in a I-let-you-ride-my-baby-when-I’m-gone kind of friendship.
Finally, she turned off the lights and left the stable. She climbed into her used pick-up truck and headed home for the night.

“Tyler, come on… you’ve got to go to that interview with RidingSport Magazine.”
“I know Rick, I know… I’m going.” Tyler picked up his sweatshirt and put on his boots as he headed out the door. Not the way he wanted to spend his Saturday. More interviews.
“I’m sorry dude, but what can I do?”
“I know Rick, it’s not your fault. I’ve just got to stop excepting this interviews.”
“What you need is a break.” Rick climbed into the passenger seat and waited for Tyler to slide into the drivers seat.
“What did you say?”
“That you need a break?” Tyler gave a sigh and then laughed.
“You’re right. Why didn’t I think of that?”
“I don’t know dude, I just thought you didn’t really want one.”
“No… I do. I need one or else I’ll go wacko. Rick, tomorrow you and I leave on the first plane out of here for an entire month.”
“Where are we goin?” Tyler only smiled… he had the perfect place in mind.

2 comments: