Sunday, July 17, 2011

7-17-11: Something I learned (prt. 2)

Hello once again!
So this post was supposed to happen yesterday, but it was pretty crazy over here.

A quick recap and then we will continue!!
1. God loves us! - He gave the ultimate sacrifice for us... his Son. And He always will love us.
2. Love ourselves - In a non-proud way. God created us, He loves us and he sacrificed a lot just for us. We must be special :) And, it is impossible to give love if you do not have it.

Alright! Here we go!

  • Loving Others
1) "The only way this world will ever see God until His return, is through our love."
This is very true. We as Believers need to strive to show love to everyone around us. No matter their race, religion or where they stand socially. This is hard, I know. In my life I do have people that irk me, and if it were up to my human conscience I most likely would not show them love, but thankfully it is not. Here is where my next pointer comes in really handy.
2)Love is a choice!
I know what you are thinking, "we've all heard that, Kayla... we now Love is a choice, this isn't anything new."
Are you sure it isn't??
We are not committed to a feeling, we are committed to a choice.
Think about this; when you find the man/woman of your dreams, and you marry them... are you committing to a feeling alone? Sure, obviously you will feel some physical attraction to the person, but if that is all you are basing your marriage on, let me tell you it will not last. Looks don't stay forever. We need to choose to show love, even when we have our bad hair days, or just our bad days. Just like everyone else in this world, married couples will fight!(Gasp! I know... strange huh??) But, if we choose to love the other person, it won't matter if you fight over what TV channel you watch or if you buy 1% or 2% milk at the grocery store. Love is a choice, and we need to choose to love everyone.
3) Love is shown by actions, not words.
Sure, you can tell someone you love them, I'm not discouraging this at all. Those three little words mean a lot to a person. Even if they are just coming from a family member or a friend. But, love is even more powerful if you show a person that you love them.
If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth. ( 1 John 3:17-18 NIV)
You can tell someone you love them, and yet turn away when they stumble and fall. But, what really shows love, is when you get down beside them, reach out your hand and help them to their feet.
4) Love will always be rewarded
Think on this:
Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. (Galatians 6:7 NIV)
This is true is it not? If you plant a seed, what do you get? A tree... well I'm pretty sure a tree is much more than a tiny seed. We need to sow love into everything and everyone we come across, because we will always reap more than we sow.

We really need to start loving people! Here are some of the ways that Mike suggested we do that...
1. Stop gossip
2. Stop judging people(Matt. 7:1-2)
3. Start accepting people
4. Show kindness
5. Pray for people (THIS IS MORE POWERFUL THAN ANY OF THE OTHERS!)
6. Meet people's needs
7. Forgive people

Are these steps easy? Of course not... God never said it would be easy, but he did say it would be worth it. :)

(Other helpful bible verses for this topic - Matt. 22:37-39 1 Peter 4:8 1 John 4:7-8 John 4:12
1 John 4:20 James 2:8 1 Cor. 13:1-3 1 Cor. 14:1 John 13:34-35 Matt. 10:42 Luke 6:31)
  • Relationship love
Alright, here it is... the big L.
In our society, love has been twisted, manipulated and totally changed from what our Heavenly father created. He created it to be this special thing that only happens between one man, and one woman. Not with a high school partner, college partner, and then finally your marriage partner. Or even multiples of these. God designed love to be saved up, not thrown away at the first chance we get.
Again, I know what you are thinking. You've heard all this before too... and maybe even you are saving yourself for marriage(Which my readers, is GREAT!) BUT... there is more to just waiting until your wedding night to keeping yourself pure for your future spouse. You guys already know this, but one of my all time favorite verses was used during this talk, and I'm happy to share it with you again...
Young women of Jerusalem, I charge you,
by the gazelles and the wild does of the field:
do not stir up or awaken love
until the appropriate time. (Song of Songs 2:7 HCSB)
We are called to wait for love! To live for God while we are waiting, (1 Cor. 7:33-34)!
Though, when it is time... (and that time will come! Trust me!) there are some things that we really should take to heart.
1) Involve some of your mentors!
I know this is really hard to wrap around your head but (gulp!)... adults actually know what they are talking about! They have been there, survived it and, in most cases(I hope especially with your youth leaders) overcome it! When you meet the person you feel like you are meant to be with for the rest of your life, have people you trust, and who have a strong marriage to come along side you and talk to the both of you, together and separate. Pray with them, ask them questions about how they make their relationship work. This could maybe be your parents, a youth pastor, a small group leader or someone else entirely. But involve strong believers in your relationship even before you are engaged. Let them come along side of the both of you and help you!
2) Keep the physical side out of the relationship
In our society today, it is thought to be impossible to do this. How can you have a relationship without the physical? Isn't it just a friendship then? Well... yes and no. Let me share something with you that Mike shared with me and 441 other students two weeks ago...
90% of your marriage foundation will be your friendship!
You and your spouse should be best friends! Not just a couple, but best friends.
3) Set boundaries! (Eph. 5:3)
I have chosen for myself that my first kiss will be on my wedding day. I've also said that I will not hold hands with any guy unless we are most definitely headed for the isle, to not be alone in a room with a guy, and long, tight hugs are just a no until we are at the very least engaged. Now, these might seem strict to you, (I mean... no hugs?! [I'm not saying that btw... just not long, tight ones]) but I am a people pleaser. Am I proud of this? No. But I am, and if I give in some areas, they will lead to larger, more dangerous areas that I want to stay clear of until marriage. So, to just skip out the temptation, I'm setting my boundaries high.
I'm not going to tell you that these should be your boundaries... that is something you need to pray about, and really talk to God about. Read scripture about this, pray and pray and pray about it, talk to your mentors, and question yourself, what do you think is a good boundary line? Also, if you are in a relationship, talk to the other half and ask them what they think... is it hard to be in a room alone together and stay pure? A great tip I've heard over and over again is to use the shoe-door method. If you ever come to a situation where you are alone with a guy/girl in a room... place a shoe in the doorway so it stays propped open.

God's boundaries are here to protect you. Not take things away from you. He is the creator of love and relationships, why would he want to take something away from you, if it was designed for you? He loves you and wants what is best for you!


I hope that some of this has maybe tugged on your heart even just a little. It moved me in so many ways that I cannot describe it in words. God is fantastic, and I am very, very proud to call him my Savior.
1. God loves you!
2. Love yourself
3. Love others
4. God: The creator of Love
If you would like to hear from Mike these messages that changed my life, you can! Check out his website and go to his store. I encourage you to maybe buy them with a friend, or ask your youth pastor if they would consider purchasing them for your youth group... or any of Mike's work. God works through him in ways that I hope someday he will do so in me.

GOD IS GREAT!



No comments:

Post a Comment